There are many things to keep in mind when waiting for an organ to become available for transplantation. It is essential that the patient maintain a positive attitude during the time it may take for a donor organ to become available.
Patients should also prepare for upcoming surgery by remembering the following:
- Provide current contact information.
- Notify the Multi-Organ Transplant Center about any changes in overall health.
- Understand that stress and anxiety are normal: He or she can help manage both by eating right, taking prescribed medications, exercising if possible, and spending time with family and friends.
- Financial consultants are available at the Multi-Organ Transplant Center to assist in providing information regarding insurance and cost.
- Have a support system in place to assist in the organ transplant recovery. The patient should make a list of items to take to the hospital, and have made travel arrangements in advance.