St. Vincent Medical Center offers comprehensive transplant services for the kidney, as well as kidney-pancreas double transplant. Beyond the medical expertise involved in transplanting organs, we provide the emotional and spiritual support that is so important to the long-term success of transplant surgery.
Legacy of Care
St. Vincent Medical Center’s kidney and kidney/pancreas transplant programs are a vital part of the hospital’s mission to serve patients in need. Since 1970, our surgeons have performed more than 6,000 transplants, serving patients from the Los Angeles and central California areas.
As Los Angeles’ first hospital, St. Vincent Medical Center has been a local pioneer in the treatment of kidney failure. Among our successes, we offered the first hospital-based hemodialysis in 1962 and the first laparoscopic donor nephrectomy (removal of a donor kidney through a very small incision) in 1999.
The Multi-Organ Transplant Center encompasses two transplant programs:
- Kidney – Surgeons place a donor’s healthy kidney near the patient’s diseased kidney to restore the body’s ability to effectively process waste and excess water.
- Kidney/pancreas double transplant – Patients with pancreas damage and kidney disease, including some type 1 diabetes patients, may be candidates for simultaneous transplantation of both a kidney and the pancreas.
In order to ensure that transplantation is a viable option, patients take part in a variety of consultations and evaluations. These tests range from simple blood tests to more involved procedures that may be specific to the individual patient’s organ. Transplant nurse coordinators help to support and assist patients throughout this process.
Staff members at the Multi-Organ Transplant Center carefully explain each test and procedure to potential transplant candidates. Family members or other support people, as well as the referring physician, are welcome and encouraged to be present during this important time.
St. Vincent Medical Center’s Multi-Organ Transplant Center is located in the S. Mark Taper Foundation Transplant Center, 2200 West 3rd Street, Suite 500, Los Angeles, CA 90057. The telephone number is 213-484-5551.
The Bakersfield Office officially opened on March 14, 2013. The hours are 8:30am – 4:00pm and it is open one Thursday a month. It is located at 8501 Camino Media, Suite 100, Bakersfield, CA 93311. To make an appointment call, 213-484-5551.
Map of the Bakersfield location.
From the beginning of the transplant process through post-transplant care, the staff of the Multi-OrganTransplantCenter provides education for the patient, family members and other caregivers.
Our educational services cover:
- Organ donation waiting list and process
- Living organ donation
- The transplant evaluation process, including required testing
- What to expect before, during and after surgery.
St. Vincent Medical Center’s Multi-Organ Transplant Center offers comprehensive services for kidney, pancreas and kidney/pancreas double transplant. Our services include:
- Laparoscopic (minimally invasive) surgery option for most patients
- Transplant support groups
- Routine and special laboratory studies
- Radiologic evaluations
- Cardiac and pulmonary evaluations
- Toxicological and infectious disease screenings
- Psychosocial evaluations
- Surgical consultations
- Additional consultations with specialty physicians
- Financial consultation
Medical expertise and professional care are just a part of the services at St. Vincent Medical Center’s Multi-Organ Transplant Center. As a faith-based hospital, we are committed to providing physical, emotional and spiritual support for our transplant patients, their families and other loved ones.
That commitment to whole-person support includes:
- A friendly and accommodating environment in an easy-to-access facility
- Pastoral care in a variety of faith traditions (for patients who request this service)
- Sensitivity to the cultural and religious aspects of our patients and their families
- Bilingual (Spanish-English) staff
- Financial counseling and consultation
- A guest center that offers overnight stays for family members