Women’s Health Services
At St. Francis Medical Center, our goal is to provide comprehensive, compassionate healthcare to women at every stage of life. Our women’s health experts combine their expertise with the latest diagnostic tools and treatment approaches to care for any women’s health issue you may have.
In our newly renovated Women’s Center and Family Life Maternity Center, we offer a complete range of women’s health services, from gynecological care to labor and delivery. Our team welcomes 5,000 babies into the world each year. As a designated California Children’s Services (CCS) Community Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU), we are able to provide advanced care to sick and premature babies any time of the day or night.
Women’s health services at St. Francis include:
- Expert gynecologic care: Our board-certified gynecologists provide comprehensive care for women at every age and stage of life. We offer screening tests, annual exams, counseling and treatment for a broad range of women’s health conditions, such as menopause, irregular menstrual periods or infertility.
- Family planning: Whether you are ready to start a family or want to prevent pregnancy, our doctors are here to help you. Our family planning services include counseling, health screenings, pregnancy testing and access to birth control (contraception) options. These services are available through our affiliated doctor network. Learn more about our Family Life Center.
- Advanced cancer care: We offer the full range of care, from imaging tests to advanced treatment, for all breast and gynecological cancers, such as cervical and uterine cancer. Our gynecologists collaborate with cancer specialists (oncologists) at St. Francis to deliver the seamless, personalized care you need.
- Minimally invasive gynecological surgery: Our specialists perform hundreds of minimally invasive gynecological surgical procedures each year, including hysterectomies and tubal ligations. This depth of experience and expertise translates to expert care that helps restore a woman’s pelvic health more quickly and with less pain. We are often among the first programs in the community to adopt new surgical treatments.
- Comprehensive obstetrical and maternity services: Our board-certified obstetricians and skilled obstetrical nurses provide exceptional care for moms-to-be and babies during all phases of pregnancy, including prenatal and postnatal. Our patients have access to advanced fetal testing and monitoring, specialized services for women with high-risk pregnancies, excellent labor and delivery care and breast-feeding support. Learn more about obstetrics and high-risk pregnancy.
- Specialized newborn care: In our NICU, we deliver advanced care to more than 700 sick and premature newborns each year. The NICU team includes board-certified physicians, highly trained nurses and other experts who are available around the clock to care for your baby. We have the latest medical technology and specialized services, such as occupational therapy, to treat babies who need extra care to grow healthy and strong. Find out more about our Level II NICU.
Diagnostic Imaging Services for Women
St. Francis offers a full suite of inpatient and outpatient imaging services, including all the latest tests and technologies. We were among the first programs in Los Angeles to offer 3-D mammography, which provides an exceptional level of precision for breast cancer diagnosis.
Our highly skilled radiologists and technologists follow strict guidelines to ensure your safety and the accuracy of your tests. In fact, our commitment to quality is recognized by the American College of Radiology, a national professional organization for imaging services. Learn more about imaging services.
Diagnostic imaging tests we use include:
- 3-D breast imaging (mammography): As one of the first hospitals in Los Angeles to offer 3-D digital mammography, we have a depth of expertise in performing this test. 3-D mammography provides superior accuracy compared to traditional, 2-D tests, resulting in more precise diagnosis. Find out more about 3-D mammography.
- Bone density scan: Also known as dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry (DXA), bone scans are quick, painless tests that help us determine your risk for osteoporosis. Osteoporosis is a condition in which bones become weak, increasing your risk for a break (fracture).
- Ultrasound: Ultrasound uses high-frequency sound waves and special technology to produce images of soft tissue structures, including your uterus or fallopian tubes. Ultrasounds help us diagnose conditions such as fluid or masses near the pelvic organs.
- Computed tomography (CT) scan: CT scans use X-rays taken from different angles and special computer software to create 3-D images. Our sophisticated scanners that can produce accurate images in seconds.
- Interventional radiology procedures: At St. Francis, our interventional radiologists use minimally invasive interventional radiology procedures to diagnose and treat women’s pelvic health disorders, such as uterine fibroids and pelvic pain. Our specialists perform these procedures using the latest equipment, including interventional X-ray machines with 3-D and CT capability.
- Radiation therapy: Our radiation therapy experts (radiation oncologists) deliver advanced treatments, such as intensity-modulated radiotherapy (IMRT). IMRT delivers higher and more precise doses of radiation while protecting surrounding tissue. Learn more about radiation oncology.
- Nuclear imaging: We use advanced nuclear medicine imaging to diagnose and treat breast and gynecological cancers. These painless tests use small amounts of radioactive materials to detect tumors early when they are more treatable. We also use this technology to deliver therapeutic treatments for certain types of cancer.
Contact us at (310) 900-7380 to learn more about the services we offer or to make an appointment.